Heart & Mind is fully committed to protect and respect your privacy. This policy explains how we collect personal information about you, how we use it and how we protect it.
How we collect information about you
We will collect personal data about you, for example, when you complete a form, visit our website, use our services or speak to us. Depending on what services you receive from us this may include sensitive personal data such as information relating to your health.
When you give it to us directly
You may provide us with information about yourself by email, online form, phone, text or any other way. For example, Heart & Mind may collect personal data about you if you:
- Enquire about any of our services or courses on offer
- Register for an initial appointment
- Apply for a training course
- Fill in an online form or survey
- Make online payments or complete a direct debit mandate
When you use our website
A cookie is a piece of data sent to a web site user’s browser and stored on a user’s hard drive tied to session information about the user. On the Heart & Mind web site, cookies are used to remember your preference of site mode (e.g. Full Graphics or Text Only version). No personally identifiable information is stored in the cookie and once a browser is closed, the cookie terminates, other than in respect of recalling your site accessibility preference.
How we use information about you
Your personal data will only be used for the purpose for which you have given it to Heart & Mind, for example, a service provided by Heart & Mind such as counselling, coaching or training. We will not sell or share any of your personal details with third parties, for example for the purpose of marketing.Unless there is a risk to your personal safety, the safety of a child or vulnerable adult, personal data (including information relating to your health) remains confidential. It will only be disclosed in accordance with UK laws and guidelines of appropriate professional bodies or to parties directly involved with your treatment, providing a service or delivering training.
For example, Heart & Mind will share personal information with Heart & Mind team members directly involved with your treatment (e.g. counselling or psychotherapy) or providing a service to you such as coaching or delivering training courses. Heart & Mind team members are independently working counsellors, psychotherapists, family therapists, supervisors, coaches or trainers who operate within the agreed values and principles of Heart & Mind. As such they are data controller of your personal data, either alone or jointly with us and will be required to maintain their own records in accordance with Data Protection Laws. In these cases, we may refer you to that health care professional to exercise your rights over your data.
How we protect your information
To protect your personal information and to mitigate the risk of accidental loss or exposure to malicious breaches of security, we take the following measures:
- We use an email service with built-in end-to-end encryption when sending personal information
- We use codes and/or pseudonyms whenever possible and reasonable
- We use password facilities on phones, computers and software applications
- We back up data on cloud based servers and use a local back-up device
- We install and keep updated anti-virus software
- Our website uses SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) encryption, which shows up as a small "padlock" symbol in the status bar of your web browser. SSL is an industry standard and used by millions of websites. It makes sure that any personal information you submit through our website is not visible to anybody else when in transit between your computer and our server. However, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. We cannot therefore not guarantee the security of your data transmitted to our site: any transmission is at your risk. Also, please keep in mind that we cannot be responsible for the privacy and data protection practices of third parties whose web sites may be referenced in our web site.
Keeping your information up to date
We want to make sure that your personal information is accurate and up to date. Please ask us to correct or remove personal information if you think it is inaccurate.
How long do we retain your information
Unless we have a legal obligation or believe it is in the best professional interest to do so, we will delete your counselling / coaching registration forms 6 months after you have stopped using any of our services and 3 years for any other personal information.
Right of access
You have the right to request a copy of the personal information we hold about you and we will do our best to provide you with the information requested within four weeks. To do so, please contact us here.
If you are concerned about the way that your information is being held please discuss this with us. If you are not satisfied with how your request is handled, you can contact the Information Commissioner’s Office on 0303 123 1113 or visit their website (http://www.ico.org.uk).
Changes to our Privacy and Data Protection Policy
Heart & Mind may from time to time modify the terms of this policy and any changes will be posted on this page.